My Plot

Plot 46, Burnside Allotments, Cambridge



Tuesday, January 03, 2006

More digging to do


The bottom end of the plot - still to tackle.
This is a picture of the bottom 6 beds, all of which need the paths digging - putting the top soil onto the beds. Hopefully putting timber round the beds - but this can wait if needs be. I also need to dig over the beds and put some manure or compost onto them ready for planting.

I had covered up some parts of the beds with thick black plastic, under which the soil was dry enough to dig and had killed off alot of the weeds, so my next purchase is giong to be some damp proof course plastic - £23.48 per4m x 15m roll from B&Q - I might be able to get it cheaper from Ridgeons builders merchants (with Luck). I recon if I cover the beds up with this I might be able to dig the beds a bit easier - we have clay soil which is wet and slimy right now. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Frankie said...

Hi Emma,

Is dampproof plasic what you are using? I have spent a fortune on the stuff at our garden centre and need some more - weeds, weeds, weeds.

Thanks,
Frankie

Emma Kitteridge said...

Yes it is the stuff that's supposed to go under houses! as I have raised beds I don't need as much as you would need if you were covering a whole allotment! I also got some weed membrane from e-bay £40 for 100 meters by 1.5m - very good value and the same people often advertise it.

Frankie said...

THANKYOU!!!
I have got twice as much black plastic on ebay for less than half the price I paid in the garden centre.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...