My Plot

Plot 46, Burnside Allotments, Cambridge



Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Pecking order

The hens are settling in & have been laying eggs - not in the nest boxes of course!
These eggs will be te ones that were in progress from being at the battery farm, I have read that ex-battery hens often go off laying when they have been re-homed until they get used to their new surroundings.
The only one that has got a name so far is this one - she's called bossy & spends most of her time charging around chasing the others bossing them about.
There has been the odd squabble but on the whole they have settled down quite quickly. I have made sure the hens lower down the pecking order can get out of the way and as there are 2 food & drink stations, they can also get enough to eat & drink - even bossy can't be in 2 places at once!
This is the house & run. I will move it round the garden every few days or so.
I put a good layer of bedding inside the house & when I checked them this evening, after they had put themselves to bed I thought I had lost 2 as I couldn't see them, so fetched the torch & found all 4 squeezed into one nest box -I know they like to be cosy but that was taking it to the extreme!
I prised 2 out of one box & put them into the other, but I don't know if they will stay there.

I will try to teach them to perch as it means that their bottoms stay clean & they will not poo in the nest boxes so much. They have spent all their lives in packed cages so have never done what normal hens do so this might be a challenge!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...