My Plot

Plot 46, Burnside Allotments, Cambridge



Sunday, April 24, 2011

More digging!

Yet another baking hot day - got to the plot this afternoon after it was not quite so hot, and started digging bed 4 so that I can put out my brassicas - all of which are growing like mad, particularly the kale. Even so I was very quickly drooping as it was so hot! - stuck with it and eventually it got cooler and I managed to dig about 1/4 of the bed.

In the greenhouse the sweetcorn I sowed has started to come through.
I use loo roll inners alot for sowing into because you can just plant them as they are into the ground, but they are great for those seeds that need a good depth of pot like peas, beans etc. The only thing it I have run out now and I need a load for my climbing and runner beans!

2 comments:

Martin and Amy said...

I always use loo roll tubes if I can. Like you said, they are perfect for things such as beans and crops which have longer and more established root systems. They bio-degrade too! Perfect!

Enjoyed reading your blog, wish you could share some of your luck regards the sweetcorn. Sewn some seeds weeks ago and still nothing!

Have a good day!

Martin :-)

Hazel said...

All looking good, Emma - I bet that you'll be planting your sweetcorn out soon!

I'm a rootrainer gal - I've always found that loo roll inners go mouldy before I get as far as planting the seedling out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...