My Plot

Plot 46, Burnside Allotments, Cambridge



Monday, March 28, 2011

Done digging bed 5!

At last I have finished digging bed 5 - Hoorah!!
I am hoping to see Mike (3 plots along from mine) who has a tiller, as he said I could borrow it. I want to put a load of council compost on & till it to create a finer tilth ready for sowing. The trouble with our soil is that the clay, once you dig it turns into small, rock hard boulders, which are rubbish for sowing into. The frosts do break down the soil but unfortunately I can't wait that long. However it does have it's good points though in that it very fertile.
I again did some digging then some painting to rest my back, so also got the fruit cage completely painted. It now looks much better, rather than a load of old wood cobbled together.

Buddy, master of all he surveys....only thing is, he is surveying Wayne's plot not ours!
The carrot (Paris Market) seedlings that I sowed into the crate int he greenhouse are finally showing their first true leaves.
My lovely daughter Chloe visited me at the allotment after school and 'helped' with the watering - she got more water on the dog & herself than on the plants!

1 comment:

Paul and Melanie said...

Loving the fruit cage! I'm planning something similar this year just need to fund it and find some well hidden carpentry skills! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...