My Plot

Plot 46, Burnside Allotments, Cambridge



Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Rhubarb 'n' Raspberries

Once I had had enough of studying I went to the plot and dug the ground where the other half of the rhubarb bed is going to be. It was not too bad to dig, although full of bindweed. All I need to do is to get two more gravel boards from B&Q and put the edging round, even up the soil, add some manure and relocate some of the rhubarb plants, as they are too close together at the moment.
The only thing is that currently the bed looks like a recently dug grave......Now where did I put my Husband?
Whilst I was there I went scouting for raspberry canes on the overgrown plot next to mine, found about 5 canes which I think are autumn ones as they appear to be sprouting from the bottom, and 8 which I think are summer canes as they seemed to be sprouting from the along the cane. I might be totally wrong of course, but will be able to see once they actually produce something. Transplanting them might not work, but I thought it was worth a go as it will save me some money. These, if they grow on OK, along with the ones Rachel gave me will give me enough cases to get going with, I can then add some more if needs be.
I heeled these into the strawberry bed temporarily until I can put them into their correct place.

By the time I had finished all that it was almost dark, so called it a day & went home & made a crumble with some of the Rhubarb a fellow plot holder gave me.
It was delicious!

4 comments:

Paul and Melanie said...

Ooooh rhubarb crumble.... I really can't wait till the rhubarb is big enough to pick! :)

Jono / Real Men Sow said...

I had my first rhubarb of the year tonight, I love it so much! I've been begging it to grow for about a month now!

No crumble, though, just with custard. Maybe later in the week...

Mal's Allotment said...

Rhubarb already! Forced?

The Masked AMHP said...

I'm glad to see you're working on your allotment again. I hated to see it being neglected!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...